We're starting to use ellipses...(see what I did there?)...but we're still learning how they work. Check out what we've done so far!
a day in the life of a superkiddo action in pictures all about authors purpose backgrounds captions character dress characters colors commas connections covers details details in pictures determining importance Dialogue drafting drawing people ellipses endings epilogue favorite authors favorite books fiction Fun stuff we do genres grammar study happy birthday Healthy sentences historical fiction holidays how-to illustration study inferring inside/outside of things Internet sites junior achievement kids' posts kinds of thinking letters maps math med school Mo Willems Mrs. Overman mystery newsletters Nonfiction perspective pictures across pages Poetry positioning perspective Power Up punctuation study quotation marks readers notebooks reading workshop realistic pictures retelling review/opinion writing safety schema setting show don't tell showing two sides of a space slice of life spelling Spread spreads student book student post surprise ending Taiwan teachers things readers do things writers do time passing Tweeps voice Where is Mrs. Overman? words across pages writers notebooks Writing Celebration writing celebrations writing ideas writing workshop zoom in zoom out
Monday, October 13, 2014
Thursday, October 9, 2014
Ali is showing all the ways she's cold.
Parker shows all the places her family is.
Mckena shows the many ways she's excited.
Haylea wants her page to look nice and have a variety of pictures.
Wednesday, October 8, 2014
Friday, October 3, 2014
Hello again, and thanks for reading! We've had a full week as always! Here's what we've been working on:
Things to be watching for next week:
- We finished up our study of long vowel sounds and moved on to prefixes. Now we know that "pre__" means "before" and "dis__" means "not or opposite of". We're learning to analyze long words using a prefix and base word.
- We finished taking our NWEA test in the computer lab and the results are in: WE ARE AWESOME! The data for your child was either given to you at conferences last night or is coming home in your child's backpack today.
- We are continuing to memorize addition facts and are learning some basic multiplication as well. Yesterday we learned how place value (tens and ones) relates to dimes and pennies. Soon we'll be counting money!
- We did surgery on a VERY unhealthy sentence this week...we needed ALL our doctors' tools, but we managed to put our patients back together quite nicely.
Things to be watching for next week:
- We have a field trip to Kercher's Orchard in Goshen on Tuesday, October 21st. Permission slips and parent information will be coming home soon.
- An individualized spelling list was sent home with your student today. We'll work on this in small groups in class, and the test will be next Friday, October 10th.
- Math grades are in Harmony now. I was having technical difficulties with that!
- Fall Break is Thursday, October 23rd and Friday, October 24th. Enjoy that long weekend!
- We'll be having a Fall Party on Friday, October 31st (Halloween). You will be hearing from Mrs. Harris and me soon with details!
Friday, September 26, 2014
Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Writers show two sides of a space, such as:
...above the ground and underground.
...outside a building and inside the windows.
...the side of a car and people in it.
...above and below the water.
...standing inside a room looking out.
Friday, September 19, 2014
Good morning! Our Warrior Walk-a-Thon is in progress and we're having a BLAST! Meanwhile, here's what we've done this week:
- We have worked on our personal narratives to prepare for our writing celebration next week (more info to come). We've been working on organizing our spreads and space on each page, making our words look right, and dressing our characters as well as including lots of details in our illustrations.
- Did you know we have been going to med school this week? We're learning to help sick sentences (those without punctuation, correct capitals, correct spacing, etc.). This week our focus has been on a capital letter at the beginning and punctuation at the end. We are GREAT doctors!
- Fact families are a main focus of our math this week. We can make FOUR (that's a lot!) facts using just THREE numbers! Ask us how!
- We are continuing to study different tricks and tips for being better readers, like what certain letter combinations say and cross-checking information by asking ourselves if something looks and sounds right and makes sense.
- In Power Up time, we've been playing lots of addition and pattern games with Mrs. Willaman's class.
- Midterm ends Tuesday. You may not see grades for all subjects yet, but no worries. We are plodding away with them.
- No spelling words yet. I just completed everyone's evaluation for everything (reading, writing, grammar, and language), so it's getting close!
- We'll be having our first Writing Celebration in our classroom next Friday at 10:45 am. Come out to see some great writing and then maybe stay to have lunch with your student too!
Posted by Christi.Overman at 7:57 AM