a day in the life of a superkiddo action in pictures all about authors purpose backgrounds captions character dress characters colors commas connections covers details details in pictures determining importance Dialogue drafting drawing people ellipses endings epilogue favorite authors favorite books fiction Fun stuff we do genres grammar study happy birthday Healthy sentences historical fiction holidays how-to illustration study inferring inside/outside of things Internet sites junior achievement kids' posts kinds of thinking letters maps math med school Mo Willems Mrs. Overman mystery newsletters Nonfiction perspective pictures across pages Poetry positioning perspective Power Up punctuation study quotation marks readers notebooks reading workshop realistic pictures retelling review/opinion writing safety schema setting show don't tell showing two sides of a space slice of life spelling Spread spreads student book student post surprise ending Taiwan teachers things readers do things writers do time passing Tweeps voice Where is Mrs. Overman? words across pages writers notebooks Writing Celebration writing celebrations writing ideas writing workshop zoom in zoom out
Friday, August 30, 2013
Thursday, August 29, 2013
Hello, Superkiddos and their families! We've had a FANTASTIC week! We've learned so much that we can't possibly include it all here, but look back over our posts this week and you'll see a few things. Also, here's a quick summary of what we did in words:
- worked on being responsible for reading better, faster, longer, and stronger
- solved many reading problems we've been having
- began using punctuation to guide our voices during reading
- learned to react to words in reading
- worked on our personal narratives (stories that really happened to us)
- tomorrow we'll have our first writing celebration which we will be sure to post pictures of for all to see! (don't worry, we'll have one where parents can come soon too...this one is for kids only to keep it simple this time)
- learned to edit our writing
- learned several addition strategies
- solved mystery (algebra) problems
- worked with negative numbers
- practiced addition facts
- When will they start spelling? As I mentioned at parent night, we are finishing spelling assessments right now and I'll be analyzing those results this weekend to find out exactly what your child needs to work on for spelling. Next week you'll begin to see word work and then tests the next week.
- Where are their grades? Their grades haven't been entered in Harmony yet, as I'm still completing assessments one-on-one. Please call if you're concerned.
- What papers should be coming home? You'll see morning work (this may be incomplete as their morning work is enrichment for the day and they may be meeting with me, helping with things, etc., rather than completing it) and math for now. Next week you'll see word work, but you won't see writing often. They collect their writing and go back and work on old pieces often. Many papers come from outside businesses and the office as well.
- What about Class Dojo? I've decided not to use Class Dojo for now...this class is very relaxed in personality and doesn't seem to really need it. :)
- Monday, September 2 is Labor Day. No school.
- Friday, September 20 is our school-wide Walk-A-Thon. We'll be walking from 12:30-1:00, and the teacher race is at 2:00. Come on out!
- NWEA (computer) testing begins next week and ends on Friday, September 13. No worries...do your best!
Wednesday, August 28, 2013
Tuesday, August 27, 2013
Monday, August 26, 2013
Friday, August 23, 2013
Tuesday, August 20, 2013
Sunday, August 18, 2013
A Little Bit of Me
|Christi and Evan|
|My sweet babies|
|One of our doggies|
|Our book, coming out next month|
Things we'll chat about tonight:
- How students are disciplined
- How I teach reading, writing, and math
- What does a typical day look like?
- Technology: Twitter, Blogger, Instagram
- Read at home (see graphic)
- Homework policy
- Best way to contact me
Here's the only homework your child will have. This is a pretty big deal.
Posted by Christi.Overman at 7:35 PM