Friday, March 16, 2012

Slice of Life: Mrs. Overman and the weird bird.

My son has been really sick this week and we've lost lots of sleep. I don't know about you, but when I lose sleep, I start hearing weird things in the night and kind of feel a little delirious when I actually get some sleep.


It's very strange.


So last night was the first night all week my toddler has been feeling better and went back to sleeping his usual, stress-free 11-hour night. Oh, the glorious bliss.


I was sleeping--hard--and suddenly awoke around midnight hearing a very strange bird chirping outside our open window. I listened quietly for a minute and distinctly heard four sharp "chirps": BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!


What a weird bird!


I waited and heard it again.


BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!


I was in such a stupor that it took me a few minutes to get the sense to walk around the house and stop this "bird" from chirping. I walked quietly across our squeaky floor--what in the world in our house makes this sound?


It wasn't the microwave...it wasn't the dishwasher...the smoke detectors were fine....


Finally I heard it again. BEEP, BEEP, BEEP, BEEP!


Oh yes...the washer! It's usually on silent. Why is it suddenly beeping at us? 


I asked Evan. "Did you turn the washer song on high? It's beeping really loudly."


"No," he said. "Ian was in the laundry closet earlier this morning. He probably did it. He must be REALLY feeling better!"


Mischievous toddler = feeling-better toddler


Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment